Think about this.....

...the only thing scarier then reaching out to the unknown is settling for that with which we are comfortable.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Classes, Classes, Classes

Since last Wednesday, it seems like I've spent more time in classes then I have in my studio. Oh wait, that's actually a true statement!

Friday and Saturday was spent with an amazing instructor named Sue Wilson who taught the Judy Neimeyer method of quilt construction. Judy is the lady who wrote the Amazon Star pattern and who has a plethora of other amazing quilt patterns available.

But, her quilt patterns (most of them anyway) are extremely intricate and very time consuming! There is a special way, from start to finish, on how to construct her masterpieces, and it took a two day class to decipher a small 46"x46" wall hanging. I'm a little under half way into completion even after spending some time in here yesterday on it.

The class was so worth it and I even picked up another pattern to do at a later time. There were several patterns I wanted to pick up but am getting ready for my trip to Cali to see the kids and didn't want to get crazy before leaving.

The receiving blanket quilt is on DW and ready to quilt. I hope to take that with on Wednesday. I'll continue to putter in here on my Pepperdish wall hanging too and probably won't be blogging much for the next two weeks since our nephew is here from Tennessee for a visit.

I'll be back around the first of the month and until then... happy and keep quilting!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Green Light

Bonnie Hunter is a quilter located somewhere in the Carolina's. She is known for her scrappy quilts and wonderful quilt patterns. She also does a mystery quilt every fall and it's about this time of year she announces her color scheme. 

The colors this year are mimicked from the Grand Hotel on our very own Mackinaw Island. While I love most of the colors she has selected, pink is the one I just can not do. I don't hate pink, but setting it into a quilt for the unknown recipient is just not going to happen.

She also uses one or two special rulers for her annual mystery quilt and I had yet to make up my mind whether I was going to do this years selection. After my class yesterday, and finding the special triangle tool we need to complete this years quilt, made my decision to go ahead with the mystery.

Just a recap...last years mystery quilt was the Celtic Solstice. I have completed the top, but have yet to get it on DW. Probably because I did the king sized version and finding backing fabric for it has been, well, a mystery.


The kids in Cali have asked for me to bring this quilt along since the top is now completed. I still need to quilt it but should be able to work it into todays schedule.

Tristan's New Floor Quilt
Class yesterday was very, very informative. We have these huge machines that do a multitude of stitches, but in reality, we only use about five of the hundreds available to us. This class teaches us to use the variety of stitches available in a useful way rather then repeatedly ignoring them.

Stitcher's Garden 1st Block
This is the completed block I finished when I got home.

Applique Detail
Here is some of the detail put into each of the appliqué pieces. Generally I would have just blanket stitched around each of the pieces, but if you look carefully, there are flowers, sprays, and tracks surrounding the appliqué elements.

Today I have to prepare for my class over the weekend; a look into Judy Neimeyer paper piecing. All the fabrics have arrived and they need to be sorted and pressed before moving along.

Afterwards I need to finish my Check Mark quilt top (only the borders to go), and get the baby quilt quilted.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Birthday Week

Monday: Finished Animal Whimsy! Got the top trimmed up and the binding on. Hurray!

Put together the Spartan "S" receiving blanket quilt. I'm trying to decide if I should border this quilt or not. It seems like whatever color I snug up to it is not working. Borderless it is!

Tuesday; my birthday. Did errands in the morning and then came home mid-afternoon and finished the Check Mark top piecing. I have to get borders on it yet, but all the freezer paper numbers are off, the basting stitches are pulled and now I have to check my directions to see what I do next.

I have class in Portland today for A Stitchers Garden BOM. I take this class with a fellow guilder so it should be fun, fun, fun! We have already attended our planning session and today we actually get to do our first block.

The blocks are a combination of appliqué and piecing, which is the best of both worlds I think.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Quick Synopsis

Wednesday: Put together the orphan blocks.

Jim loves this quilt. I'm still not so sure.

Found some more UFO stuff in my studio and put this up on the design wall.

The white patches are receiving blankets from the boys I cut up years ago. The green is a newer flannel a friend (I think) donated to me and it worked with the whole theme.

Thursday: Class in Ann Arbor. Here's where I left off from my six hour class. This is the reverse side, but I'm trying to protect it from the suns rays that filter through my window.

Friday: Finished quilting Animal Whimsy with Jim's mom. Tried to get her to play with DW. She ran away. 

Saturday: Purchased about 50 yards of backing fabric from Fields Fabric in Grand Rapids. Great prices and the quality is pretty good. Will be able to finish around 10 quilts with it all. Also purchased black sashing fabric for the last BOM/Scrap Squad block exchange quilt.

Saturday Afternoon: Had to clean out the spare room closet as the rod fell down away from the wall. It buried all the unfinished tops put in there to accommodate visitors this weekend. Ugh!